[RC] More thoughts for hitching a ride... - IRMurphy

I frequently have people go along with me to rides and wanted to add some of my
suggestions...

1.  If porta-potties are available use them rather than the bathroom in the
trailer owner's living quarters.  This saves the owners clean-up/prep time
after a race.  (Dump stations are not always available easily available!)

2.  Bring your own supplies including any drinks you may need.

3.  Make sure your horse is comfortable loading before you're preparing to
leave for a race.  It is not nice to try and pull a horse in on the owners
trailer!

4. If your horse absolutely refuses to load after a reasonable amount of time
then 'bow out' and allow the owner to head to the race.  Still offer something
for their time.

5.  Bring your own bedding if the owner agrees to share a living quarters,
including pillows, blankets, etc.

6.  If you horse damages the trailer or their other property get it repaired.

One final recommendation that I have for those who take along
'hitch-hikers'...it is nice if they carry some type of insurance (I understand
this is a 'nice to have') on their horses.  Riding horses can be covered for
auto accidents under a personal articles policy.  Personally, I've added
additional liability insurance after a lady on a cell phone side-swiped my rig
on the way to a race.  (Fortunately, I was only hauling my own horses to that
race and there were no serious injuries.)

Also, the idea of bringing along your own vehicle to the rides and following
the trailer is excellent.  I typically bring crew and it would be great to not
have to unhitch the truck for the crew to go meet us at vet checks.

Irene
www.maverick-stables.com