From: Teresa Van Hove <vanhove@xxxxxxxx>
To: tam319@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   thoughts for hithing a ride
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 19:07:58 -0700

Just a few quick thoughts on 'hitching a trailer ride'

If the ride site will have a lot of trees you might want to
picket your horse, rather than tie to the trailer of the
person that gave you a ride.  This will keep you
out of their way if they are not very organized;
but no big deal if you cant manage this.

If you can drive your own vehicle with all your stuff that
will simplify life for the person giving your horse a ride -
all they have to do is put the horse in the trailer; its
harder to pack when you have to leave room for someone else's
set of stuff.

Or  perhaps you can make arrangements to get your stuff
to their trailer before your horse is to be picked up,
(maybe the day before) and help them pack up if its too
long a drive or you have a vehicle conflict and you cant
drive up separately.

Do not schedule anything for the day you expect to come
home from the ride.  Make sure you can be patient if
they are running hours behind when they thought they would
take off.  For sure don't assume they'll talk off early
if they did not say that they would; but if they wanted
to take off early do keep yourself organized and be
ready to go when at their stated time.

Do jump in and ask if you can do anything if you are all
set and they are still taking down camp and packing up; or
anytime you've got free time and they are doing stuff.

Do offer to pay for more than 1/2 the gas.  Do volunteer
to scrub windshields etc. at the gas stops.

Oh - when you get home - volunteer to clean out/ maybe
even wash their trailer; especially if your horse is
a messy traveler.

If you do most of these things you'll probably be a
very popular trailer passenger.

Cheers, Teresa and the motley crew.