Re: [RC] Pacing - Truman Prevatt

I may or may not annoy other riders, but it's your ride and your horse, not theirs. You need to ride your own ride and ride the pace or type of ride that is best for your horse. Every one is different.

Truman

Kathy Mayeda wrote:

Got back from Death Valley Encounters.  Had a great time.  I just wanted to ask some of you Ridecampers to see how you determine pacing!

Last year I rode with someone who did intervals of walk and trot over the long flat stretches.  This year I rode with someone who maintained long sustained trots.  Then I rode with someone else who would walk, then canter to catch up.   All three regularly top ten endurance rides of 50 to 100 miles.

Beau and I discovered the beauty of maintaining a long sustained trot.  We used to be the surge and rest type, which I think annoys some of the other riders.  What do you think?

K.