Fw: [RC] Rocks, Hills, Weather, OH MY! - Lori Bertolucci

Though it has been a while since I have done a ride, I think that part of the "endurance" thing is the rider making the decision to do the ride, no matter what. It is easy to say the weather is too bad, or the terrain is too hard, but to at least attempt it is part of the fun!  When I left Bakersfield Friday afternoon, it would have been easier to stay home, using the excuse that the wind was blowing hard, and it was raining and I had been up all nite with sore ribs and went to work at 5:30am that morning. etc, etc, ect. But the truth was, I knew if I didn't go this time, then the next time finding an excuse would even be easier. And even with all the rain, it was fun. I had forgotten how much fun setting up camp could be and just the attitude of all the riders was fun to be around. Talk about a party atmosphere! Plus the experience for a very green horse, that couldn't be beat. Now when we go to a ride, it can only be easier for him, as there at Lakeside he got to see what bad weather can be like.  Maybe we didn't get to ride, but there are other ones and you know what? we will be there, rain or no rain.  At least we tried!

Lori B.

----- Original Message -----
  From: superpat
  To: Trailrite@xxxxxxx ; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ; So_Cal_Endurance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; CLRidnhigh@xxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2003 10:48 PM
  Subject: Re: [RC] Rocks, Hills, Weather, OH MY!

  Extremely well said and to the point, Tammy. All of the points you made are the reasons that I love this sport. I love meeting, head on, the challenges of the day. Never mind whether it is on a conditioining or training ride, as well as the endurance rides. Without the rocks, hills, weather, or any number of surprises, I might just as well join any number of local trail rides and toodle along at a walk, chatting all the way to the hour long lunch breaks after which, we all mount up and slowly toodle back to the trailers. NOT!!!!
  So good on ya for speaking out, Tammy.
  Pat