[RC] re: suggested splint boots - Teresa Van Hove

aahh - a question I have experience with.

AVOID leather splint boots - can give nasty rubs when wet.
I AVOID any kind of fleece lining as they pick up stickers and such
and I live in country full of stickers and burrs.

I tried various expensive boots that should have had better
breathability
and such and had the best results with the cheapest, plain jane
neoprene
slint boots.  But I always had several pair so I could put clean one's
on at each vet check.  (us crewless riders need shortcuts sometimes
and
its easier to grab a fresh pair then remember to wash the splint boots
right away so they are reasonably dry to go back out)

 Then Davis boots came out.  You can wash them and wipe
them dry right away so no worries about still soaking boots picking
up a bunch of extra dirt.  I had and hated a pair of professional
choice SMB (support) boots, but now own a pair of professional choice
splint/interference boots for Grey's hinds (he whacks his hind
fetlocks
so I need a boot that has some extended coverage around the fetlock
but the boots that fasten below the fetlock dont work well on him.
P C and some other brands have splint boots that fasten above the
fetlock
but have a flap that covers the inside of the fetlock.  I like the
Prof Choice cuz they are a waffled neoprene on the inside, rather than
nylon lined like the cheap boots (similar to the Davis boots they dont
get as wet crossing water and you can rinse them and wipe dry
at a vet check.)  Davis doesnt have the style with an extended
fetlock flap as far as I know.

Cheers,
Teresa (and Grey Moun -long time wearer of front splint boots and rear
interference boots) and Shade - so far no need for either -YEAH.