[RC] rio - Kathie Ford

I've been reading this thread with great interest.  Even though I don't know Becky Hart, I've seen Rio and my old shoer knew him well and shod him.  He really liked Rio, and told me that Becky was indeed a very skilled rider (obviously) and really could take any horse, and make them a champion.  That is quite a compliment.

I tend to follow Rio as my daughters horse was bred by the same folks.  She is a small horse also and stands only 13'3.  She is bay, and also has very distinctive long ears which I don't see too many that look like hers.  I was floored when looking at the photo of Rio.  Same ears!

Anyway, I wish we hadn't gotten our horse Dolly later in her life as we did as just on LD's she's done pretty good.  My daughters both rode her, but if she was mine I would have done much more as she is capable and takes real good care of herself and has a wonderful mind.

she has small feet, but we have had her for years no and she has never been sick, never been unsound, (except the last SASO ride at pre-vet check...next day we found two large pebbles embedded in the white line of her sole.  Once removed she was fine...bad luck I guess!)  She has also done X-country, jumping and dressage with about nineteen ribbons from last year along.  The judges love her as an "underdog" and she can jump over 4' effortlessly.  However, we don't do that a lot with her as we want her to retire sound and comfortable and enjoy her later years as she deserves to.

Anyway, for what it is worth just as an opinion, my vet told me that he really likes the smaller arabs and finds them quite athletic and tough.  He also (in regards to Tevis) told me he is of the opinion that they can get in and out of the canyons in better shape and more easily than the larger ones.  That is just from his experience vetting at endurance rides.  I thought it was interesting none the less.

But, I must admit, I love to ride bigger horses cause that is what I'm used to and I like the strides.  But even so, there again, Dolly our little gal has a huge stride.

I have a coming 4 year old granddaughter of Dolly that is not quite 14'2.  I was hoping she'd grow just a bit more, but after reading these posts on Rio, maybe she'll be perfect just the way she is now!

Well, see,

Just some thoughts to share!

take care all...

and happy riding!