[RC] [Guest] Body questions, Dates and Drinking - Ridecamp Guest

Laura Tichenor tichenor@xxxxxxxxxx

For excercising I currently ride a mountian bike on a stationary trainer,
and I walk alot - either on a treadmill or outside.

Being a bad drinker, and eater, I have to force myself to drink water, and
to eat when I ride.  I have to set drinking and eating goals.   I also have
a bit of a touchy tummy every now and then, and too much sugar/fat bothers
my stomach, so I have to watch what and when I eat.  I make myself drink at
least a  bottle of water before even getting on the horse, drink all of my
water I carry on the trail, and I drink when offered liquids, and drink
another bottle of water or Gatorade(watered down, I prefer poweraid not as
sweet as Gatorade)  when I get back to the trailer or on my way home in the
truck.  I also offer my horse water before I ride, during my ride, and after
my ride.  So I must follow (force myself I should say) my routine for him.
I always carry horse water in a 5 gallon containers (usually 2-3) for my
horse in my trailer.  I have to thank April Johnson for my forceful goals of
drinking, and for getting a new pack for the back of my saddle.  I have
never seen somebody carry so much water.  So, I must do what this other
southern lady does!    Yet, I am still a bad drinker at heart.

Now for food, I also have to set food goals too.  I eat shredded wheat
cereal (with milk, and sweet and low, or I eat it dry), and a piece of
fruit, drink o.j. too, and of course coffee, or some sort of caffeine.  Then
for lunch I eat a peanut butter and jelly (grape is best YUM) sandwich on
wheat bread (sometimes one before and one after), an applesauce cup or two,
and I eat dates.  Yes, dates!  Beth Glover got me to eating dates, and they
are great.  They are better than a banana (and do not look like it was
murdered and mutilated in the saddlebag) and have more potassium, and travel
very well in a saddle bag.  They also make my hands swell a lot less in this
terrible southern heat and humidity.  Horses LOVE dates too.  Dried dates
are either chopped or whole.  Yum-ME.   They are sweet, and easy to eat, and
have never upset my stomach ever.   I try to have a variety of things to
eat, then I can pick and choose at that time.  But as a staple, I eat the
sandwich, and dates, and the salty part I eat those nasty prepackaged
crackers.  Either with cheese or peanut butter on them.  My horse will eat
those too.  He seems to enjoy everything I eat.  Havent tried meat though.

I do believe if you have had enough to drink you will have to pee on the
trail.  My horse is a good pee watcher, and waiter.  Sometimes he will pee
right along with me!  Those who ride together pee together.

Happy Trails,
Laura in N. Alabama