[RC] Big Hill Blowout: (Sort of long) - Douglas M Gifford

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Douglas M Gifford <dpwg@xxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@endurance
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:43:08 -0500
Subject: Big Hill Blowout:

Hi
Pat Gifford here reporting on what little I know about this ride.
Hubby and I got into camp about 4:00 PM on Friday.
He had been listening to the weather forecast as I was going to ride
the 50 with a couple of friends. It was determined that Saturday was
going to be a very wet day.
I got my horse Casper vetted in and settled him into camp that night.
He proceeded to eat his beat pulp electrolyte mix with great gusto as
well
as the hay and water set in front of him.
Saturday morning it was thunder storming with intermittent showers.
At times the rain was bad enough that I decided to take my glasses off.
Big mistake (will explain later). The trails were relentlessly up and
down hilly.
We did cross a beautiful creek with a water fall 2 times in reverse order
as
well as a creek that I had to raise my feet on to keep them from getting
wet.
Another part of the trail was extremely slow going due to the rocky yet
boggy conditions.
We were averaging 7 miles per hour even with this wet tough terrain. At
one point
Casper decided to take a flying leap off of a ledge that dropped a foot
down ward.
I felt like I was in one of those cross country courses that  3 day
eventers  ride.
I yelled Sh\t Casper at his ability to do this. In retrospect the jump
was probably not a good idea.
We were about 6 miles from the 2nd vet check when that happened. I
started to notice a slight
ear bob occasionally. Was not sure that I was really seeing it the bob
was so subtle. When we got in
to the vet check which was in camp (at 35 miles) Casper's pulse was a
little high. I proceeded to cool him down
and take his saddle off (this was a cool day) When we got the pulse down
I moved him to the vet
We had a 52/78 CRI.( I know very high) Everything else looked good.
Casper was eating and wanting his beat pulp electrolyte
slurry.  This horse did not look tired.  He did not act tired. The vets
did not notice any lameness.
Because of the CRI we will be documented as a pull for metabolics but in
retrospect I think it really was
a lameness. I know there are 3 reasons that a horse would elevate a CRI .
1 exhaustion 2. Excitability
(from exhaustion or otherwise ) and 3. Pain. (lameness or back).
When he was returned to the trailer Casper was very hungry and alert. My
husband and I
stayed around for the LD awards and then packed up and left. ( I know
static for leaving buttttt)
It was a good thing because an hour later a fire truck came through camp
and told everyone to get
out as there was tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings in that area.
My 2 friends made it
through the rest of the ride but were unable to find out how they did as
they to had to leave in a hurry.
Sooo if anyone has any ride results please post to ride camp.
Pat Casper and Razzel in Kansas
PS Check your pockets before putting your glasses in them. Mine contained
2 quarters that scratched the
heck out of my trifocals.(very expensive to replace but it was time for a
recheck anyway)