Re: [RC] [RC] Maalox Question - Laurie Durgin

I mentioned it in my notes. It was Nancy Loving DVM of "Go the Distance" on the vet panel there who said it and does it.It was to buffer the Elytes in the stomach.They asked if it was permissiable and the vets said it was. laurie and Rascal

From: KimFue@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Maalox Question
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:20:01 EDT

I was having a discussion with a friend about using Maalox in their
electrolytes. We have a couple questions for those using Maalox
1. Why do you put Maalox in electrolytes?
2. If it is to coat/neutralize the horses stomach don't you have to use a
LOT (meaning bottles) of Maalox because it is formulated for humans?
3. If it is to neutralize the acidity of the electrolytes we would like to
know if anyone has checked the PH of the electrolytes they are using to see
if they are acidic. Also did any one who measured the PH figure out how much
Maalox it takes to neutralize their particular brand of lytes?
4. From what I read on one Ridecamp post, it seems someone is using two
syringes of Maalox to one syringe of electrolytes....wouldn't this mess up
the mineral balance of the electrolytes you are using?
5. Please let us know if you are using the Maalox because "so & so" used it
in their electrolytes and it worked for them so I decided to try it.

 We are just trying to figure out how the Maalox thing in electrolytes got
started and if there is any basis in using this other than it makes us feel
good.

Kim