Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 7:28 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [Guest] sneakers for running /riding safely

For the "riding safely" part, just get caged stirrups, and then you can get whatever running shoes will fit you well and not worry about your feet slipping through the stirrups.  If you don't want to buy new stirruups, I'm sure you could rig your own cages with leather or biothane strips riveted to the stirrups, or wrap the straps around the stirrups and rivet the strap to itself, or a buckle arrangement if you wanted them removable.

If you've never chosen running shoes, it's almost impossible to mail order and get the size you need.  Every brand is sized differently, and you must choose a shoe for running that is larger than your street shoe size anyway -- they must be wider and longer to avoid toe bruising.  Try to go to a dedicated runner's store and have an experienced clerk assist you.  You can go to www.runnersworld.com and search for the article on choosing a shoe.  For example I normally take a 9EE street shoe, but I have running shoes in 9-1/2D and 10D depending on brand.

I love the look of Ariat's styles, but they obviously think all women have narrow B-width feet as that's the only width they offer on everything, so I'll never be able to wear any of their shoes/boots.  Those Montrails at Sportack also have no width designation, which means B-width only.

Karen Bratcher
Athol, Idaho