From: "Linda Klingerman" <elite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Ulcers
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:40:23 -0400 (Eastern Standard Time)

In an article in "The Horse" (April 2003 "Exercise and Ulcers: Is it the
Norm?") there is information about ulcers in the working horse. What I
gather from this article is that exercise forces the acid from the lower
part of the stomach (where it is intended) up into the upper part of the
stomach, where it causes the damage to the stomach lining. The article
says " which could be why ulcers develop or worsen in horses in training
(affecting more than 80% of performance horses in studies)".
So, as we are conditioning our horses as we are supposed to are we also
creating ulcers? And if this is so common or unavoidable in "working"
horses, then why is the medication to help the horse be more comfortable not
allowed by the AERC (when it has been found to be in the best interest of
the horse by other organizations)? I found the 80% number to be quite
disturbing.

Any input?
Linda