[RC] Horse with Shy Bladder - Set a Good Example - Stagg_Newman

Just had to respond to this one!!!  Angie - material for a column?

Lori wrote:

From: "Lori Bertolucci" <LoriBertolucci@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   HELP-Horse with shy bladder!!

Hi all. I am in serious need of some help. And I know I can't be the =
only one with this problem. My gelding won't pee on the trail, yet makes =
it very clear that he needs to. He waits til we get back home after a =
ride. He has twice now peed when out riding, but after a very long time =
needing to go. I pat and praise him when he does, but so far he hasn't =
gotten the idea. Instead he will start slowing way down and then =
crossing his front legs. It is funny to see, and if I get off of him he =
forgets about peeing and wants me to scratch his head.
Any suggestions out there?
Thanks,
Lori B.

Lori,

What frequently works is to set a good example.  Ideally this is
done by another horse.  However, we frequently use the trick of
running over into the woods with the horse and doing it ourselves.

The smell of urine will frequently trigger the desired response.
And of course after getting the desired response give lots of praise,
carrots, etc.

Did this for years with my wife's 1250 16.h2 TB at CTRs when
we came into pulse check points.  I peed, he peed, and his pulse
dropped.

Aside:  You know you are an endurance rider when you surprise your
friend peeing in the woods and you immediately say:
"good color, nice volume."

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.