Re: [RC] [RC] MY Million Pines Story - Truman Prevatt

I like to ride with a single rein, but my reins are the last thing that attached to the bit. Of course using a halter bridle helps here. I have a "ride and tie" lead rope that is attached to the halter/bridle that loops over the horses neck and afixed ( a velcro loops around the led rope to afix the loop around the horse. This gives me control of the horse as the bit is put in. The last thing I do is attach the reins. Yes a horse running with a bit whacking himself in the legs will not cause the horse to want to stop since he's trying to get away from that thing whacking his legs.

On the other hand I don't like the idea of a horse getting away with a single rein dragging, but the good news is the chips that attach my reins to the bit will break so as not to completely panic them if the get tangled up. I have found this fact out several times as the horse is wanting to gallop and me wanting him not to gallop and ended up with the rein attached to one side of the bit - but that's a different story.

Truman

Tina Hicks wrote:

Angie, were the reins all one piece? or did they have a buckle or some
breakable part? I've never really like the idea of continuous, one-piece
reins for lots of reasons - this just adds to that :)

I wonder, in this case, if the reins had broken so the bridle fell off the horse, maybe the blind panic would have been prevented. Sure the horse would have been nekkid :) but maybe some of the risk would have been diminished.

Tina - whose one piece reins endurance were taken to a leather shop years ago to have a breakable buckle installed.