Re: [RC] West Nile Seminar - Heidi Smith

>The local vets here in Dillon MT had a Fort Dodge guy come out and give a seminar to the public yesterday . These are just some of the topics that were discussed . So do you vets agree with the sales rep ?

1) The Vaccine is 94% effective

Nope.

2) It is the vets call on dispensing the vaccine ( wether they want to sell it over the counter or give it themselves)

Yep.  It is the vet's call whether or not to dispense ANYTHING.  Unless he is forbidden by law to dispense it.  (Which was the case in some states prior to full licensing of this vaccine, but is no longer an issue.)

3) 2 initial doses and then one yearly except for high exposure horses that you travell with give them 2 doses yearly or if you live in a high mosquito area dose every 6 months.

Seems to be the best advice so far

4)Peak response to vaccine is at 6 weeks

That would appear to be the case.

5)There have been no reported/documented cases in foals under the age of 5 months from vaccinated mares

Probably a true statement (that none have yet been reported), but based on very little data.

6)3 injections on foals starting at age 4 months

I'd say that depends on where you live and what the incidence is--and what time the foals are born.  eg:  We foal in the summer, at the peak of mosquito season, so there would be no reason to start vaccinating foals in September or October (or in the case of the fillies I just weaned, in December).  If you had a February baby, and lived in a high-risk area, then yes.  Otherwise, use some common sense and correlate with peak mosquito season, just like you would with an adult.

7) If foals are from unvaccinated mares start series at 7 weeks of age

Makes sense.

8)Vacc. preg. mares at 8-9 months

Likewise makes sense.

9)Immunity will transfer in colostrum but not in utero

Basically true of any sort of immunity in the foal.  I'm not sure there is actual work on this yet, or if this is just "common sense" advice based on how passive immunity works in general.

10)Vaccinated horses will not test positive for WN

I'll take their word for it

11) If your horse has had a reaction to a WN shot do not re-vaccinate

Again, common sense for any vaccine

12)Human mosquito spray ( OFF) is more effective than horse sprays

Darn near anything is more effective than horse sprays!

Heidi