Re: [RC] Martingales - Drin Becker

Charlene wrote
"That again is only ones opinion. In my opinion and experience....Running
martingales don't work well with the S hack and it is not teaching your
horse...... they learn to rely on them. They have a constant downward pull
then to the hands."

Once I am assured my colts will not drop their heads and go to bucking on me I put all of them in a running martingale with a snaffle . I usually ride them in one for a year or two and then take it off , I have never had one learn to rely on the martingale , all I have ever had it do is help teach them control/collection . To me it taught them good habits from the start , 99 % of my riding is on trails and in rough country not arena riding . But like you said , this is just one persons opinion .
               Drin Becker
               Mtn Region