[RC] creating a "monster" ? - Sundaez

Hi all....

This is Tess's first year of endurance training. She's 6 yo and doing great under saddle. We started training rides late last year. Our first ride was Mar 1st which resulted in a pull due to a sore back at mile 15. Gave her a couple weeks off. Chiro came out and adjusted her.

Since the adjustment she moves much freer. i had posted a couple times about the problem of her pounding down hills and being extremely rough. That has all but disappeared. I think she was moving pacy because she was so stiff and sore.

Anyway...now that she is getting very fit and obviously feels great we have a new problem <g> She has become a bit harrowing at times to ride. She wants to move out all the time now. She has become 10 times more forward. If we aren't moving at a trot she becomes light in the front and may rear. Once at the trot she seems to "attack" the trail...kind of hard to describe but she puts her head down and goes with determination. Yesterday she trotted and galloped 2 miles uphill and wanted more. Most of rides prior to this have been LSD....10-20 miles at 5 mph.

I can't believe this is the same horse... she has become so HOT!  I am feeding her 75% bermuda and 25% alfalfa hay, 2 pounds Strategy, 3 pounds beet pulp, 1 pound rice bran. Her coat gleams like liquid gold and she's lean. A couple people have told me rice bran makes them hot. Could that be?

Have you guys noticed a change in your horses as they get more fit? Have I created a monster? I miss my "old" quiet mare!

I'm in a delimma....I don't want to kill her impulsion and forward attitude, yet I also want her to learn to go quiet when I want. SHe gets so behind the bit though if she has to walk.  She arches her neck and looks like a high stepping parade horse. If I drive her into the bit she may go up. This is harder to deal with than a horse that pulls at the bit IMO. Advice please?

Melanie Snowhite
Poway, CA.