Re: [RC] vaccinations - Truman Prevatt

There are some human drugs and vaccines that should not be used if there has ever been a prior reaction. Myself I would be very learly of giving a vaccine that caused a prior reaction. That said you need to be sure it was the vaccine and not the carrier a particular company uses. I had bad reaction in one of my horses to a Potomac Horse Fever vaccination some years. At the advice of my vet I will not give that one again. In this case given the probability of catching the PHF, the risk from the vaccine is higher than the risk of PHF itself.

The use of vaccines is a matter of risk management. If the risk from the vaccine is higher than the risk of the condition (when the probability of getting it is factored in ), then don't vaccinate - if the risk from the condition is higher, e.g. EEE or WEE, for the condition then vaccinate. Many horses recover just fine from WN. Very few recover from EEE or WEE.

Truman

Scott Johnson wrote:

Speaking of reactions to vaccinations, has anybody ever had a horse colic after vaccinating? One of my horses did this twice, but I think it may be more of a stress reaction. It wasn't the same vaccination each time either. Happened 30-60 minutes after the shot was administered. In the 9 years I've had her, this has never happened, then wham- twice last year. Makes me leery of giving her any shot. Any thoughts on this?

Dede