Re: [RC] Jugging - Heidi Smith

Question to the vets out there...just how likely is it that
a jugular IV will permanently block the vein?

If done properly, highly unlikely.

And even if it doesn't permanently block the vein, what is
the effect of any scarring (it seems to me that there will
be at least a little scarring every time) that occurs.

It depends.  I've worked with horses who because of medical conditions have
had to have IV's on a regular and on-going basis that one would be
hard-pressed to say without close examination on necropsy had ever had an
IV.  I've also seen horses that have had a noticeable area of scarring from
just one injection--likely because a needle or catheter slipped, or there
was some bleedback that became contaminated, or some such.

That said--any invasive procedure carries a degree of risk, and the question
in my mind always is, does the benefit of the procedure outweigh the risk?
If the horse is sufficiently compromised by dehydration, then the benefit
may well outweigh the risk.  But if a horse is sufficiently dehydrated to be
compromised after the fact, the other question I have to ask is, by whose
definition did this horse finish "just fine"?  If I felt that the benefit of
IV outweighed the risk (albeit extremely minimal), I would be seriously
questioning my race strategy, and trying to figure out what it was that I
missed, and how to do better in the future.

Heidi