[RC] UAE World Cup - Darolyn Butler-Dial

Bob,
Geeesh... ya make it sound all so bad.  How many USA Rides have been stopped
when someone died on trail, thunder/lightening storm was rivaling the
starters voice, life flight helicopters lifting riders off mountains,
tornados or hurricane remnants  whirling about.... temp of 108 and humidity
approaching 100, flooded rivers that were sweeping horse & riders away????
not toooo many  (actually, all that happened in Texas, just last
year......................JUST KIDDING...........well, some of it happened,
the rest happened over the last few years scattered around the USA.

You really must make a trip to the UAE & watch one of these things just to
get over your MiddleEasternraceaphobia.  The good doctors over there insist
on jugging almost anything that is pulled as a precaution.  They have
unlimited funds, so why not... Riders are not billed for it either.  I know
if I had the option and funds it would be great for our horses in the hot
humid south to receive some extra fluid after an especially hot race.

So while we're on the subject, let me share this with you newbies & oldsters
too:   I will jug (even if it costs me), if I think the horse may be fairly
dehydrated.  Helps them bounce back quicker, feel better, and possible avert
some late appearing toxicity.  We've had horses finish apparently fine, then
the next morning find elevated respiration/heartbeat, etc. & well on the way
to a laminitis episode.  Fluids following the race may have made the
difference.  Frankly, I can't encourage riders enough to jug after any ride
if  you have any doubts at all about the metabolic health of your horse.

Too many times people think it is an embarrassment or shows poor judgment
(while riding) to need fluids afterwards... I think it shows a pretty smart
person to recognize the good it could do a horse to help him over this
hiccup of dehydration right away.  So don't be afraid to ask your vets
opinion of whether it might help your mount out.  In regular AERC ride there
is no penalty for jugging right after completion... probably won't judge you
for BC however.  LOL  In the International rides you may not do so for two
hours if you intend to keep your completion... so don't get them confused.
dare

Darolyn Butler-Dial & Mark Dial
     CYPRESS TRAILS EQUESTRIAN CENTER & HORSEMAN VIDEO SHOWCASE
            Proven Endurance Horses for Sale or Lease.
Adventure Trail Rides * Boarding * Training*Lessons *Parties
Represents:   Sharon Saare Saddles, Professional Choice, Advanced Biological
Concepts,  & KM (Human Electrolytes)
ADVOCATE :THE WHOLE HORSE TRIM (Barefootin")
21415 Cypresswood Dr.  Humble, Texas 77338
       Ph:  281 446 7232    Fax 281 446 0113  Toll Free (800) 228 8768
     e mail: darolyn@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:darolyn@xxxxxxxxxx>
http://home.swbell.net/darolyn/