[RC] Easyboot/Old mac ???? - Laurie Durgin

Since the "men" are out camping (in the rain), I get the computer and get to read all night, I may as well ask another question:
We are 'retiring" my daughter TB hunter (seems the Endurance vet who goes out to her new barn figured out he was actually 18 instead of 15 and she doesn't want to invest the time in getting him to 3.6' A circut and him be 20, (with the old snyovial injury) and he comes up lame enough for various reasons, that she feels it would just break him down quicker. So he has come home, and may be husbands trail horse,( he is very honest and loveable and anyone can ride him.), but she is afraid to sell him and have him end up starved someday and neglected.(she even talked about putting him down instead!!!)(Later we may have to donate him for a therapy horse or something, because I am not sure we can afford to keep him too ,(she used to pay his bills :}
But in the meantime here is the question.... . .
He has Tb feet, and was kept shod on all 4 by her. But he now will be in a couple acre turnout and probably will get infrequently ridden(I really don't think I can even ride him much I have Rascal, and Honey to ride.I will try to work him when I can. I am thinking of 1) Just shoeing him in front , like I did Rascal and Honey (till I started riding Rascal alot on the rocks, now he is all way round). and using Easy boots or Old Macs on back when Husband wants to ride. Or just triming him and getting easy boots, or Old Macs for all 4. It is mainly to save a couple hundred dollars a year on shoes for a horse who may get ridden 1x a month(or in the ring by me, which is sand/dirt/rock dust mix). I will still have him trimmed when the farrier comes. His soles seem to be thin, you can see he advoids the gravel and walks on the softer dirt when he can.
Anybody do anything like this? How hard is it to get used to putting easy boots on and off?(I haven't tried it yet, but need to learn) Or maybe I should get old Macs$$$$$$$$ because they would be easier to put on and off?Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks Laurie "Champs new owner"(how can I take care of another horse??? 1 in training, one green in training, one baby and now an "early retiree with lots of good years left,who is not an easy keeper".