[RC] Skat Gone back home - Roger Rittenhouse

Just a short note to 'all'  on the status of my 'new' horse Skat.
Wrote about him a few times. Having interface issues which we were sort of
working though.

With the 6 month lease coming up, I really had to get him to an endurance
vet for review, the pre-purchase exam.   We were not able to get him over
to the vet during the past winter mainly do the fact he did not load well,
and I did not want to  hurt him or  create more problems.
Well with time running out and since he was loading some what.. I made the
appointment.

Loaded him up with his pasture buddy Omni and off we went. He traveled
'fair'.

Had Omni checked for his stifle treatments and did lots of trot out -  --
the conclusion- Omni is fine and  should go back to working. Dr Wilson's
opinion was he will get stronger as we get back to work.

Now on to the Vet Exam of Skat. Since I was riding him and he was 'sound' I
expected this to be a quick stamp of approval.
NOPE not so. I wont give all  the details but both vets - failed him for
way of going and confirmation,
Based on their opinion he was front end base narrow and traveled to an
inside track rather then square on all four. He did not hit him self but
expected issues down the trail.
He showed significant tenderness on both outside heels (front), indicating
landing hard on the outside. He showed winging  on both front  but more
with the LF.

There were other minor issues, but he failed him as  NOT suitable for
intended purpose.

BUMMER. While we were working out the handling and ground issues he was
going OK on trail. I was pleased with our progress. I know he was narrow in
the chest but I missed the way of going while under saddle.  Sure cant see
that when riding. Carol missed it also.
We tried to consider if he would get better- wider  that is-  as he
developed.  Vet said as 6 yr old he did  NOT offer much hope of a major
improvement.
Based on my weight ( HW)  and his size and the desired level of
performance, he failed the exam.

I took him back Fri.
Not going to even look for another horse for awhile. Going to get Omni back
to work , do some LDs and see  how he goes.
Sometimes things do not work out. Sure glad I did the lease option to buy -
all I  lost was the lease payment.. and  got the 'pleasure' of taking care
of him over the winter .. along with what ever training I did . Not out all
that much

Roger R

V-MAX Equine HRM
Equine Performance Technology