[RC] easter mustang adoption - Ed Kilpatrick

very well put, karen.   it is unfortunate what happens to lots of adopted mustangs, even when taken by well intentioned(though ill prepared) people.  it does take an experienced hand to get these horses and do a good job of gentling and training. i have worked with two adopted mustangs and had great success, but i do lots of horse training and have the space and facilities for it.  the first one i got was captured when he was a five year old stallion and i was told he came from utah, but i think that it was actually nevada.   anyway, the original adopters used him for breeding for a couple of years, then gelded him and tried to "break" him.  he was sold at a regular horse auction some time later because the owner said, "he was tired of getting bucked off!"  the guy who bought him at auction hired me to train the horse because he was afraid to get on him.   i started over with him, did 10 days of ground work, then started riding him.  he has never bucked with me.  the gu y who bought him at auction was still afraid of him, so i talked him into selling the horse to me.   well,   long story-short, that was just a little over two years ago, kathi and i have ridden him in countless pleasure trail rides, five ctrs,  four lds, and five fifty mile endurance rides. in the nine aerc rides, he has finished top ten four times.  we call him gorgeous george.  he is 14.3 hands, 1050 lbs.  earlier i mentioned that i think he came from nevada.  i would like to take him back there someday, maybe to redrock in the fall!