Fw: Re: [RC] [RC] Comment to Maryanne's Egyptian post - Shelley Kerr

-------Original Message-------

Date: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 06:58:14 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Comment to Maryanne's Egyptian post

I lived in a third world country for 3 years (South Korea).  And what we perceive to be poor is not necessarily so.  I saw people living in what looked to be shacks on the outside, but inside was a clean, well kept house with kids who had nice clothes and books for school.  What we see isn't necessarily what is.  We compare our lifestyles to those of other countries and we think "those poor people".  And it's the wrong thing to think.  In Korea, it wasn't the house you had that you boasted about, it was the size of your bank account.  Different culture, different style of living, but not what they would call poor.  There was poor people, but we also have poor people here in the United States, but for some reason we don't see that.  Our poor live on the streets, but most of those choose to do so.  They don't want the responsibility of a daily job and dealing with co-workers and the conflicts or stress of having to get along with everyone you have to work with.  They choose to do drugs because they like them and/or "feel better" not having to deal with reality.  I say this because I have dealt with this specific situation with someone I know.

We shouldn't "feel sorry" for those who aren't asking for our pity.  They may be very happy and content with what they have.  They may have had less before and feel that because of what they have now, which they probably worked very hard for, they achieved a lot and feel good about what they have achieved.  For a person to berate them for not providing for their animals properly, etc. would be a hard blow for someone who may have accomplished more than what you see.  It's difficult not to judge another person, so before we judge others, maybe we should find out the whole story.

Shelley Kerr