[RC] World Cup Update - Bill and Jan Stevens

I just got off the phone with Bill.  Valerie had just finished her second loop (I believe).  All the US riders were riding very smartly-no one was going too fast-“nothing fancy” as he put it.  He is out on trail following Valerie and the other riders crewing as they go.

The wind is blowing the sand around (he understood that there was a wind storm headed their way from the direction of Qatar) but the riders were somewhat “unaffected” because they were “riding” above the wind (must be quite low on the ground).  He hadn’t heard of the terrible wind storms that Iraq had been receiving in the past 12-24 hours.

He told of a terrible event that occurred right before the 1st check (I believe).  A helicopter crashed right in front of him as he was going into the Endurance Village for the check.  He said that he watched it for about 30 seconds as it fell to the earth right inside the compound.  It really shook him up, as Bill is a pilot too.

He said that he would call back in a few hours to let me know how things were going.

Jan Stevens