[RC] [Guest] WNV---The Rest of the Story - Ridecamp Guest

Joane Pappas White

Hi Ridecamp,

Although I always lurk, it has been some time since I have actually posted
on Ridecamp.  For the last year, however, I have been involved in some
serious research concerning West Nile Virus and several other equally
frightening new viruses.  Throughout the year, I was surprised to see how
little of the information actually known to CDC or the scientific community
was being shared with the horse community---particularly our vets.

For those of you who don't remember me, I am a trial lawyer and also operate
and own Lady J Land & Livestock which raises organically grown black angus
cattle and endurance horses.  I compete in LD, sponsor juniors and newbies,
and crew for Team Canada in international competition.  Lady J also raises
hay with its own herbal blends for the animals and we are involved in a
number of alternative therapies for animals and humans, including herbal,
homeopathic and essential oil therapies.

Because of my work in alternative therapies, I became involved with some of
the Indian Tribes in the Plains states and began to see a trend as WNV
spread across country last summer and fall.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize
how far behind the CDC Website was on posting results so the virus was
actually spreading much faster than publicized.  At that time, I was
consulting with several scientists who were involved in creating the viruses
for veterinary testing.  We were also searching for herbal combinations to
address these exotic viruses. Every time we checked the CDC website (and the
state websites that copied CDC), people were still being told that
mosquitoes were the source of infection and that vaccinating the horses was
recommended.

In November several articles were published, the most reported one was from
Colorado, (I will supply the website references in my next post), stating
that WNV had mutated dramatically since its introduction into this country
in 1999.  From the beginning, we knew that Old World VNV (African) was
different, and no where near as virulent, as the original strain of New
World WNV which entered the US .  What has not been addressed by any of the
vets I have talked to, and that is dozens of them, is why are we using a
vaccine that is currently estimated to be more than 10% effective against
the mutated virus?  It is as if no one in the horse community knows of the
mutation.

Every time I pick up a new equine magazine and see the push to vaccinate, I
shudder.  The WNV vaccine has had some serious reactions and if the horse is
already exposed, those reactions can be fatal.  Sooooooo, why has there been
no discussion of the risk vs. the benefit of the vaccine? Perhaps to me, 10%
coverage is better than nothing for the $$ but I need to know the risk to my
horse before I make that decision. Apparently California had a seminar on
WNV earlier this month.  Now the recommendation is three shots instead of
two----but still no one is pushing the manufacturer to specify the vaccine's
efficacy rating.  Perhaps this is the "duct tape and plastic" solution to
keep the public from panic.

Even more important to me as a horse owner is the issue of other methods of
spread of the virus and the risk I might be creating for my horse if I
travel with him.  Additionally, while we are being told publicly that the
virus is being spread by 37+ varieties of mosquitoes, the CDC has been
telling its government contacts that any of the dead birds (the vector for
the disease) should be removed from the proximity of animals and people. The
death rate among the bird population is huge and it appears that hundreds of
thousands of birds, or their remains, may be contributing to the spread of
the virus.  For over a year, we have been told the virus is spread only by
mosquitoes---Now go to the CDC Website
(http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/q&a.htm) and look at the newly
update information on Transmission---realize that this information is more
than 8 months old and is just now being released to the public.

If you read all of this updated information, you will see the scope of this
virus.  Also keep in mind that it has been spreading all winter in regions
with freezing temperatures and no mosquitoes---(CDC Website map of South
Dakota--ask yourself how the entire state went positive for animals and
humans in October through March when only one county reports infected
mosquitoes).

I would really like to hear from all of you about the protection, if any, of
the vaccine and not just its cost.

Joane Pappas White
Price, Utah