Re: [RC] Sore back... Slipping saddle pads... - Stephanie E Caldwell

Susan,

Star's a pretty vocal little mare... she let me know long before she was
bleeding. LOL Probably wouldn't have had any galling or as much soring if
I'd dumped my saddle once I realized. Lesson learned for next time, just
would have been a royal pain to hike back out and get it.

I always wash my new saddle pads before using and find that this
helps with slipping. <<

This one was purchased used. It's Toklat Woolback without the ultracell
inserts. Really nice pad, like the looks of it...

I don't think Star's problems are only b/c the saddle
pad is slipping.  Improper saddle fit sounds like part of the issue.<<

My take after doing a close inspection of my tack I used this weekend vs my
regular tack is the Toklat has *no* foam, my Walmart (did you know that alot
of Walmart's stock horse stuff? Got my pad on clearance for $7.00 two years
ago... used it every ride since) has at least 1" maybe 1 1/2" of foam. Her
saddle was probably too wide with the Toklat since it's a thinner pad. Since
to saddle was too wide and the pad slick anyhow it allowed the saddle to
slide enough to gal her under the posts of the saddle, at each rear corner
of the pad, at her girth buckles, and at her breast collar hook.

Now for the girth gals --  these hurt
also and can't be blamed on the saddle pad.  What type of girth are you
using?<<

I've been using a Professional's Choice Neoprene cinch for over a year now.
Her gals are at each buckle, not a usual place... I think that the saddle
probably slid enough to drag the girth back and forth... Is that possible?

Breastcollar clip -- not sure why this would be making her raw if
you are clipping on the "D" ring on the center of the girth.  Make sure
your
rings are in the center of your horse.<<

I think it's the same as above... Saddle's sliding so much that it just
rubbed her raw

What is it about saddles that is making it hard to fit your mare?<<

Star had a spinal injury from an english saddle and it took a year to get a
diagnosis and I don't think I rehabed her correctly. I really had no help
rehabing her, so I'm not suprised. She's real touchy about her back and even
slightest things, like wrinkles in the saddle pads, will cause her pain.
She's got good high withers, flat back, really comfortable bareback ride
(good thing.. I've resorted to that more than once in the last two years
when her loins were sore). And, she's just now stopped growing. She was sold
to me as being 6 when in reality she was at the most 3, and I was too stupid
to look at her teeth and see. So, she's lived a pretty rough life, and she
has no pain tolerance. The original people that broke her beat her and used
barbed wire for a curb chain, she has no feeling in her mouth... don't know
what else they might have done to her, but she got to the point that all
pain does is make her strike out. I'm looking to go treeless for a year or
so until she's through growing and then have a custom tree fit to her little
back. I'm a featherweight (119 lbs...) and she's a good ride bareback, so I
think treeless will work for us. I tried a Bob Marshall and we both seemed
to like it for the 5 minutes I rode in it :)

TY,
Stephanie