Re: [RC] endurance - Maggie Mieske

How about a story about "driving"?  Just started our 5 year old stallion
driving.  Please keep in mind that this fella is exceptional and we in NO
way, shape or form are suggesting that training a horse to drive )or ride)
is THIS easy.  Mykal has always been accepting and intelligent about
anything we have asked of him.  I did some basic saddle training on him late
in his 3 year old year.  Earlier that year, he had discovered "women" and
when I tried to work with him, was a total blooming idiot in that he
couldn't stand to even FACE away from the herd.  So, I put him back and left
him until the fall.  One day that fall as we were working at the farm on
fence and such, I announced to Nelson that I was going to work with Mykal
again.  I saddled him up and away we went...he did sidepass most of the way
across the field when we started off but within ten minutes he was moving
forward, back, sideways, trotting, anything I asked him to do (I waited for
cantering until he could build up some muscle...I am a HW after all and have
SOME compassion).  So, we went for a "ride" and that was "it".  Last fall
(as a 4 year old), we did our first 25 mile LD ride...the funniest thing he
does though is "ask" if we can go home.  No matter how "close" home (or
camp) is, he will stop and turn around and look at me as if to tell me, we
really have gone too far and should turn around now.  It's hilarious.  He is
getting over that now as he has discovered that going is really a lot of fun
and now that he is in better condition he CAN go farther.  And besides,
there's always a treat at the end of the trail!  :)
ANYWAY, Nelson needs a driving horse.  Mykal is the most logical horse
because he needs more work before he can begin fifties (maybe late this
season or even next year...no hurry) and driving is a great way to do that.
Besides, Nelson's excuse for not RIDING with me is his insecurity in the
SADDLE.  Doesn't work when there's a horse to DRIVE.  :)  Anyway, we ground
drove Mykal once.  He aced it 100%.  Executed turns and moves some
experienced horses couldn't do.  Next time, we put the harness on him...fun
at first and then boring (for him).  So, we let him haul a small log.
That's fun and different.  Then a noisy bouncy bedspring (we use it to break
up manure in the pasture!).  That was even more intriguing.  Like a game for
him.  NOTHING bothered him except his excess forelock (which we have since
trimmed and ended up having to adjust the bridle since the forelock was so
thick).  So...... yesterday, we hitched him up to Nelson's endurance cart.
After a couple of wheeling and backing lessons, away we went with me holding
onto a lunge line and walking beside him and Jenny riding shotgun on Max.  I
eventually got in the cart with Nelson....Mykal walks like a fast fiend and
I'm too short and stout to keep up even though I've been working out and
walking on the treadmill lately.  :)  We DROVE.  Mykal LOVED it...finally
trotted off after we felt more secure and confident and he loved it even
more then.  I can't WAIT for our first drive...we are hosting a fun drive in
May through our club GLEDA...Great Lakes Endurance Driving Association.
This is so much fun and I just know there are a lot of folks out there
waiting to have some of that fun with us.  (Met lots of them at Horse Expo!)
Later this week, I will ride Malik and we'll go for a little longer "drive".
Mykal turns and wheels like a pro...I am totally amazed.  I will never be
able to train another horse without comparing them to Mykal!!  I am
completely spoiled now!
Anyway, get out there and do something different with your horse.  You don't
NEED a surcingle or harness to teach them to ground drive (tie your stirrups
up across your saddle and run some long lines through them).  It is FUN.  We
also plan to have some fun obstacle courses this summer at our local arena.
Not a real ride story but some fun nonetheless.  Hope everyone else finds
some time to do something fun with their horse today.  Even if it's just
"beauty shop".  :)
Maggie