Re: [RC] Progeny championship percentages - Heidi Smith

When I look at studs, I try to find out their %, not numbers, sure if you
hear that the stallions sired 200 champions then you are impressed. Then
you find out that he's sired a total of 700, or a total of 400, which
makes you happier?

I find that relatively meaningless, considering what I see winning in the
show ring.
All that a high percentage of champions means is that a high percentage of
foals were shown successfully.
And that's only useful if you're interested in breeding a horse suitable
for the show ring. It won't tell you a lot about their potential as
endurance sires, or field hunters,  or working ranch horses.

I might be interested in the AERC or ECTRA records of a stallion's get, if
I were looking for a distance horse.

Most of the stallions that I am interested in have never set foot in a
show
ring, nor have many of their get. And none of them have sired 200 foals
period.

Again, Charlotte, you've taken the words right off of my keyboard.  Although
I do find some of the older show records (pre-1960 or so) of interest, in
most cases, evidence that a horse's get have been successful in the show
ring indicates to me that he is NOT the sort of horse I'd want to use.  The
more modern the record, the more that impression, as long backs, "hooky"
necks, long cannons, tipped pelvises, upright shoulders, etc. that are
rewarded in the modern show ring are NOT traits I care to breed into horses
that I plan to ride!  Now if they have credentials in cutting, jumping, or
dressage, and it just happens to be IAHA competition, I might pay attention
in a positive manner.  But not the rest of it.  Have actually had EP and
Park breeders state that they purposefully select FOR long cannon bones to
"enhance" motion--no wonder the poor things look like flailing windmills out
there....

Horses are like anything else, study the pedegree all you want, you still
probly won't get what you thought.

No; but you are far less likely to be unpleasantly surprised if you've
done
your homework.  It will give you a good idea of what you are likely to
get.

Furthermore, the few times I've been "surprised" by what I got, it turned
out to mean that I really hadn't studied the pedigree as thoroughly as I
thought.  Pedigrees are not blueprints.  However, they are a set of
possibilities, and whatever you get HAD to come from within the set of
possibilities expressed by that pedigree.  If the pedigree is so erratic
that there is every trait in there under the sun, then yes, I'd have to
agree that pedigree study has little meaning.  But when one is very
selective about pedigrees so that one more closely controls what that set of
possibilities encompasses, then there really aren't any big surprises.  Once
again, true, you can't just set down a bunch of specifics and expect to get
exactly that--but you SHOULD be aware of the range of possibilities, and at
least know enough about that range to predict with reasonable accuracy what
sorts of outcomes are apt to happen.  I never cease to be amazed by the
folks who are REALLY knowledgeable about CMK pedigrees, and who can walk
through just about any CMK herd and refer you back to a handful of ancestors
that each horse particularly resembles, and who can back that up with
photographic evidence.  I'll take pedigree study over showring data hands
down.

Heidi