[RC] Vaccinations - Karen Standefer

I don't know where this was originally published
because it's been passed around a lot.  The link at
the bottom does not work.  However, I did a search for
Dr. Ward and came up with this website if anyone is
interested in checking this out further:

http://www.holistichorsekeeping.com/

Karen

Problems with Vaccinations
by Madalyn Ward, DVM
June 1997

I was taught in Veterinary school that vaccinations
could do no harm and
were
very effective in preventing disease. For the first
ten years of my
practice,
I encouraged owners to vaccinate for
encephalomyelitis, tetanus and rabies
once a year and influenza and rhinopneumonitis twice a
year. Pregnant mares
were vaccinated for rhino at 5, 7, and 9 months of
pregnancy. I never saw a
case of encephalomyelitis, tetanus or rabies and I
believe the incidence of
full blown cases of flu and rhino were decreased in
vaccinated horses.
However, I was kept very busy treating colic,
laminitis, sick foals and
chronic respiratory infections. Around 1990 I read my
first article
suggesting vaccinations could have some negative
effects on horse's health.
My initial reaction was one of disbelief and anger at
even the suggestion.
Once this seed was planted, however, I could no longer
deny that
vaccinations
often did aggravate symptoms in some chronically ill
horses.

At this time my roommate and I had 20 horses and after
some soul searching,
we elected to skip their annual boosters. To our
amazement not only did the
horses stay healthy, but their health actually
improved. Several of these
horses had a tendency to colic and they colicked less
frequently or not at
all. Two horses had chronic laminitis and both of
these improved steadily
and
one was even able to go back into training. Several of
the horses did
contract a respiratory infection at a local show, but
other vaccinated
horses
at other barns in the area were also affected. Hair
coat, hooves and feed
efficiency also improved.

About one year after our decision to skip
vaccinations, we had an
encephalomyelitis scare so we boostered all horses
with eastern and western
encephalomyelitis and tetanus. Within 30 days, both
foundered horses
relapsed
and our colic incidence was back up. This experience
made a believer out of
me and from that point on, I advised my clients to
tailor their vaccination
programs to individual needs and to cease vaccinating
any horse with a
chronic illness. After 4 years of less vaccination and
drug use I noticed
fewer laminitis cases, milder and fewer colics and
overall healthier
patients. Vaccinations can overwhelm the immune system
especially if it is
weakened already by chronic disease. In healthy
individuals excessive
vaccination can actually create a disease state called
vaccinosis. Symptoms
of vaccinosis can vary greatly but include dry hair
coat, weak hooves, skin
eruptions, sarcoids and warts.

There is much we need to learn about the effectiveness
and safety of
vaccines. Drug companies do not test vaccines to see
how long they are
effective. so checking titers on horses may be a way
to avoid annual
vaccinations. Vaccination programs should be geared to
fit each individual
situation.

Thuja Occidentalis - Arbor Vitae

This remedy is most often prescribed for the ill
effects of vaccination. Its
main action is on the skin and genito-urinary organs.
Symptoms include
warts,
polyps, lameness in tendons and muscles which is worse
in damp weather,
rapid
exhaustion and emaciation, chronic nasal discharge,
chronic diarrhea,
distended abdomen, colic, inflamed ovaries, chronic
uterine infection, poor
quality hooves and swollen glands.

Case Report
Amy - 28 Year Old
Arab Mare
Amy was obtained by her owner in February 1996. She
was in very bad shape
but
had been gradually nursed back to health. Her weight,
appetite, and hair
coat
were good, but in May of this year she received a
puncture wound and needed
tetanus booster. She was accidentally given a
combination vaccine containing
encephalomyelitis, tetanus, influenza and
rhinopneumonitis. The next day she
was very depressed and would not eat. Over the next 10
days, she remained
depressed with a poor appetite. She was given one dose
of the Homeopathic
remedy, Thuja 200c which often matches the symptoms
caused by the ill
effects
of vaccination. Within 24 hours her attitude and
appetite were greatly
improved, but she has still not fully recovered.

Case Report
Karisle -5 Year Old
Warmblood Gelding
Karisle had a history of skin eruptions and warts. He
has been vaccinated
each year with encephalomyelitis, tetanus, influenza
and rhinopneumonitis.
After his shots this spring, he developed painful
papilloma warts in his
left
ear. He became very headshy and could not be bridled
in the normal way.
One dose of Thuja 30c was given because it matched his
symptom picture.
Within two weeks the warts were less obvious and he
was not as painful
around
his ear. Karisle's tendency toward skin problems and
warts suggest his
immune
system is weak. Treatment from this point on should
focus on strengthening
his immune system.

More on Vaccinations
by Madalyn Ward, DVM

September 1997

My experience has been I see more chronic disease in
heavily vaccinated
horses. I would like to explain why I think this
occurs. First, one must
understand how vaccinations work. The 1 to 2 cc of
vaccine injected into the
horse does not provide protection from disease. This
is very important to
understand. It is the response of the horse's immune
system to the vaccine
that determines whether or not the horse will be
protected.

The vaccine is an antigen designed to trigger a
specific antibody reaction
so
the next time the immune system sees this antigen it
will react quickly to
combat it. This sounds like a great plan and has the
potential to work with
good quality vaccine and a strong healthy immune
system. The problem is many
diseases don't produce good antigens and toxic
substances called adjutants
must be added to trigger reaction by the immune
system. Also, the immunity
following many vaccines is very short requiring
injections to be given as
often as every 2 months. Would you allow yourself to
be vaccinated every 2
months? I would like to make an analogy of the havoc
multiple vaccines can
cause. Consider the body as a country and the immune
system as the army and
local police in charge of protecting it. The nervous
system acts as the
communication network and the circulatory system makes
up the highways. The
army regularly protects the borders and the police
keep internal peace.
Everything goes well until without warning there is a
huge invasion of enemy
paratroopers. (Say you vaccinate your horse for VEW-T,
Flu, Rhino, Rabies,
Strangles, and Potomic Horse Fever on the same day)
These invaders use our
established highway system to infiltrate all areas of
our country. Now if we
have a very strong army and police force, the invasion
will be thwarted.
However, border patrol and local peace keeping efforts
may suffer
temporally.
This is why it is important to give your horse several
days vacation after
any vaccine. If, however, your horse has a marginal or
weak immune system, a
whole different scenario may occur. Because there are
no reserve soldiers
all
forces are withdrawn from their regular duties to
fight the invasion.
Communications may break down as chaos develops.
(Chronic Herpes) In the
confusion orders may be given to attack friendly
forces (Auto Immune Disease
such as Periodic Ophthalmia) Stressed soldiers may
become trigger happy and
shoot at anything they see (Allergies) or roads may be
blocked in a attempt
to pin down the enemy, but at the same time cutting
off vital supplies to
the
country side. (Laminitis) Even if the war is won, it
is often at great
expense as criminals have taken over many cities while
the police were
preoccupied. (Cancer) Remember, even though this is
just a vaccine, it is
designed to trick the immune system into thinking it
is the real disease.
With natural infection there would never be more than
one disease at a time.
It is critical that the status of the immune system
and the risk of exposure
be considered before any vaccines are given.

Typical Vaccination History

* Apr 1989 Potomic Horse Fever
* May 1989 Potomic Horse Fever
* Aug 1989 Flu,Rhino
* Nov 1989 VEW-T, Flu, Rhino, Rabies
* Stangles
* Dec 1989 Flu, Rhino
* Apr 1989 Flu, Rhino
* Aug 1990 Flu, Rhino
* Dec 1990 VEW-T
* Jan 1991 Flu, Rhino
* Oct 1991 Flu, Rhino
* Feb 1992 VEW-T, Rabies, Stangles, Potomic Horse
Fever
* Jul 1992 Flu, Rhino
* Dec 1992 Flu, Rhino, Strangles
* May 1993 VEW-T, Rabies,
* Potomic Horse Fever
* Jun 1993 Flu, Rhino, Strangles
* Aug 1993 Remove Melanomas Surgically
* Sep 1993 Flu, Rhino
* Mar 1994 Flu, Rhino
* May 1994 VEW-T, Rabies,
* Potomic Horse Fever
* Jul 1994 Laminitis
* Sep 1994 Laminitis
* Dec 1994 Flu, Rhino - Horse still under
* treatment for Laminitis
* Mar 1995 Flu, Rhino
* May 1996 VEW-T, Flu, Rhino, Rabies,
* Strangles, Potomic Horse Fever
* Aug 1996 Colic
* Jan 1997 VEW-T, Flu, Rhino, Rabies
* Strangles, Potomic Horse
* Fever
* July 1997 Return of Melanomas
* Severe Laminitis

Dr. Ward wrote these artilcles in 1997. Since that
time she's had great
success by adding nutritional support to homeopathy,
acupuncture, and
chiropractic modalities. Visit http://Elinda to learn
more about the
nutritional products or to ask more questions.