Re: [RC] breeding standards - Mary Golden

San, I agree with the too many average (and even sub-standard) mares are bred.  But, I guess it comes back to -- what is substandard and why are you breeding?  I definitely agree that buying is cheaper in the long run!!!

But, if I *were* to breed (not that I have time or inclination at this point), these would be my reasons:

First and foremost, I would breed for myself only and not to sell.  Also, I will be honest -- it takes me MANY YEARS -- and about 100+ stallions to consider before I would even make a decision.

Conformationally Disastrous Dot:  she does produce better than herself when paired with the right stallion.    I would actually want to go breed to the stallion who produced her first foal.  Unfortunately, I think they gelded him and moved to TX.  SOB!!  I would breed her for a Paint for myself.  She is 15, and I have a barn full of 7 and unders, so it is not likely my mare will ever be bred again.

Short-necked Sable:  Definitely breeding for temperment here!!  And heart and willingnes and everything that make just a good, all-around pleasure/trail horse.  My mom asked me if she could take her and be "her horse" -- since she wants one so badly.  It's sooo hard having to give her up --- but what can you tell you mom, eh?? LOL  I will definitely fish up a photo so you can see her shorty neck.

Leesa:  The flighty AK Arab.  I have been contemplating the pros and cons of this for a loooong time.  Pros:  I think she has a heck of a future in endurance or CTR.  This gal has a trot that is incredible!  She is athletic as all get out.  Reasons not to:  temperment.  she can be a real flake.  I don't know if it's because when we bought her at 3 1/2 years she was wild or what (she is just turning 7);  she has calmed down a lot though she this fall when we started her under saddle.  She has lineage that should be carried on, but the big thing making me stand outside the breeding circle with her would be that temperment.  Yes, she is a tad short-backed, but it doesn't affect her in anyway!

Truth be told, though -- I'd much rather BUY another horse than have to raise one from scratch.  They are SO cute as babies --- but work work work!! and money money money!

Mary