[RC] Hidalgo Update - Linda B. Merims

Hi, Kathryn;

I have not yet gone down to Rhode Island to check out
the National Police Gazette.  However, as we discussed
earlier, just coverage in the Gazette would not consitutute
sufficient proof of truth; it was just too tabloid.

I don't think all bets are in, but it sure doesn't look good
for Mr. Hopkins!

Sometimes one must understand that, after so many years, people
usually do not remember things precisely, they only remember
them approximately.  It could be possible that Buffalo Bill paid
for Hopkins personally, or it could be that he used the $$ he got
for his Paris trip to pay his way to Aden.  (Yes, I understand
that there is no proof he ever went with the Wild West Show
to Paris.)  The thing is, you have to see the records yourself
to get a good idea of what their "coverage" is.  This gives you
a basis for deciding how complete they are, and whether or
not things are routinely missing.

Also, people almost always do embellish to "fill out the story."
Because they are--to put it politely--fibbing about one part of
the story, does not mean other parts of the story are not
true.

The race was not called the "Ocean of Fire" Hopkins said
the translation in English amounts to something like
"The Thanksgiving Race" which probably is in connection
with an Islamic Holiday. And even though Disney advertises
the race as being famous, I have spoken with historians
from Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Yemen, and The United Arab
Emirates, and none of them have ever heard of such a
race.certainly not an annual one.

Aha, now this is fascinating!  Can I ask:

 Which historians did you talk with,
 What were their specialties, and
 Which universities were they affiliated with?

And, most specifically, what *research* did they conduct upon
which to base their answer?  One wouldn't expect any randon
US historian to be aware of, say, the Tevis Cup if one just called
them up and asked them cold on the phone.  (The Kentucky
Derby, yes, the Tevis, no.)  Their answer has to be "footnoted,"
else it is *not* history!  For example, there is a huge collection
of 19th century British diplomatic correspondence between
Aden and Bombay that is still in Bombay.  Parts of this, up to 1836
or so, have been transferred to an Islamic studies institute at
the University of Essex in England, and were the basis of that
"Crimson Flag" book about the history of the Trucial States.
But, as near as I have been able to determine, the
rest is still just sitting in boxes in Bombay.

I have no sense at all of the state of Arabic language primary
documentation of that region in the 19th century.  No sense
at all.  Did the dozens and dozens of shayks through whose
land the race would have had to pass, with permission, keep
written records?

I applaud you for your research.  I'd just like to nudge you
a tiny bit further.  When you ask somebody a question, and
they give you an answer, you always have to *also* ask,
"And how do you know?"  It makes one very irritating, but
it is absolutely necessary.

Well, well, well, Frank Hopkins!  You old rascal, you!

Linda B. Merims
lbm@xxxxxxxxx
Massachusetts, USA