[RC] Monterey Horse Park (MHP) - sandy . l . holder

With all the curtailing of horseback riding in Parks that I've heard of lately (trail use, trails, park use, etc.), the note below from MHP is very refreshing:

Sandy & Tally (who was very good at receiving his shots today)!

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding MHP.  Yes, we have included endurance riding in our plans.  Fort Ord is 28,000 acres and currently there are 7500 acres available for trail riding on the BLM land.  The BLM land is just south of our spot and is adjacent to MHP.  In addition, another 7000 acres is to be added to that total when all UXO is cleared.  The present trail system would allow for 25, 50 and 100 mile rides.  The 100 mile would have to loop at least once.  I'm not an endurance rider, however, I did speak with Julie Shur and some others in her ride group and learned that would be OK.  When the additional land is added to the trail system, then the 100 would more than likely a be single course.  The terrain is wonderful, plenty of hills, valleys, and some ponds/creeks.  Sorry, no Cougar Rock, however, most hills are steep and top out about 2000-3000 feet.  The soil is sandy, an! d lots of trees.

On March 14-15, a NATRAC ride will be held at Fort Ord, and we know Ride and Tie is also interested.  What we envision from the MHP end would be to provide a trail head from which to begin and end rides.  A start/finish area that has all the needed infrastructure to host a ride.  Also in our plans is a 150 campsite RV park that would have all hookups, and at least half with pipe corrals for horses.  We plan to have a "meadow camp", that would be a big open area of native grass or turf, for tent camping/trailer parking.

If you learned about us from the Bay Area Equestrian Network, you could copy our site plan and review it and send comments if you have any.  All comments are welcome.  This will be a great place to ride your horse.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Bob Enea