Re: [RC] UMECRA - would you go to a ride if you couldn't use yourportable pen? - Truman Prevatt

But I think it is something we are going to have to start to get used to in the future. As our trails become more used, the land managers are going to need to organize how they are used, how people camp, etc., if for no other reason minimize the impact on the land.

There are several locations where you are restircted to how you tie your horse. It is coming. While it might be a pain in the butt, I'm flexible and would not discount the ride because of this.

Truman

Heidi Smith wrote:
The DNR
requires that horses be tied to the large H-shaped
hitching rail built at each camp site. A single horse
could have a sliding tether set-up on the high tension
cable above the rail, but two or more horses would
have to be stationary tied on the hitching post.
Portable pens, high-ties, or stabling at the trailer
is not allowed at the park. Would you attend a ride
with such strict stabling requirements?

In a word, no.  And I don't use portable pens--I tie to the trailer.  But
that IS my horse's familiar home-away-from-home, never mind that my routine
is worked out to deal with that sort of camping situation (how my tack is
arranged in the trailer, etc.), so it would be a major bother to have to tie
somewhere else.  And since we often ride stallions as well, we can control
our "social setting" by how we park--the fact that we couldn't choose the
location of the H-ties is to me far more of a negative than the fact that
they are stationary ties.  (And I think this is an issue to many horse
owners, not just stallion owners.)

Heidi