[RC] boarding/best of both worlds - Wendy Mancini

    At one time I kept my horses on my own property.  Loved having them right there.  Life changes and now I board.  For the past 13 yrs. rough board at the same barn.  What makes it unique is that I've always had a partner.  It's a small place & only 5 horses.  2 are mine.  Basically, we co-op horse care.  One big hay order & we divvy the price per bale.  Each buys own grain, etc.  We have a set feeding schedule, who feeds when.  All use the same farrier & take turns as to who is there for trims/shoeing.  Use the same vet = 1 barn call.  All worm the same day.  Each cleans their own stalls.  We basically own the barn & field.  The owner only does major repairs.  We fix fencing, mow, rake, shovel snow,  manage manure, seed fields, etc.
    Now then, all this takes a lot of co operation & people who have the same basic horse sense.  Over the years we've had 2 nut cases join us.  Luckily, the property owner realized this & agreed when it was time to tell them to go.  Since the last nut was at the barn, the owner & my other partner & I agreed that a contract was necessary.  We drew one up, all reviewed & added  2 cents & we all signed.  Newest partner is working out great.
    So we all have it like it was our own place but also have the advantage of someone to "cover" for vacation, rides, etc.  After you just "pay back" your shift, stall cleaning or whatever.  It's kind of nice to go to the barn at 10 am for a ride & not have to worry about the other work.  Great situation if you can find it.