[RC] Horse Deaths - Jim Holland

Definition: Committee: "A group of people officially delegated to
perform a function, such as investigating, considering, reporting, or
acting on a matter".

Would someone, preferably on the BoD, please post the "charter" of the
AERC Veterinary Committee? Based on the definition above, I would like
to know the official "function" of the Veterinary Committee as
designated by the parent, the AERC Board of Directors. If you're shy,
you can do it privately to me and I will post it.

Today, after 5 months of frustration, I finally received the Veterinary
Reports on three of the nine horse deaths in AERC in 2002. The AERC
Executive Committee Director, Kathleen Henkel, informed me that the
Veterinary Committee has not, at this time, reported the other deaths to
the AERC BOD, therefore Veterinary Committee Reports are not on file and
thus not available. The rest SHOULD be available after the BoD meeting
at the Convention. I still have MANY questions that WILL be asked at the
Convention.

No, I am not going to post the Veterinary Committee Reports on
Ridecamp.  This is a "members only" issue. I encourage ALL members on
this list to send an email to Ms. Henkel and get your OWN reports. Email
is kathleen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  You might also want to SPECIFICALLY request
the Veterinary Post Ride Statistical Report. It was not included with
the Veterinary Reports I received. According to an AERC Resolution
passed by the BoD, they should be on file at the AERC office. (Good
Luck!) Let me know if you get it. You can see the form at:

http:www.aerc.org/vetpostride.pdf

Take particular note of the ***ACTION ITEM*** at the bottom of the form.
I seriously doubt that you will get them or even if they exist. Be aware
that it is the function of the President of AERC to assure that all
rules are followed!

If you're coming to the Convention, you are welcome to look over my
copies...IF you attend the General Session at 8:30 on Saturday.

After examining the Veterinary Reports in great detail, (30 seconds) if
it were not so tragic, I would be ROFL!

Dr. Jamie Kerr is Chair of the Veterinary Committee.  I have never met
Dr. Kerr personally.  From all I have heard he is an excellent Vet. As
far as I know, he does not beat his wife, dog, horse, or abuse his kids,
assuming he has any or all of the above. :) I understand he is well
respected by his peers.  However....

I have almost 40...FORTY!...years in the Corporate Environment. I am now
President of my own Corporation. I have stood before the Presidents and
CEOs of some of the largest and most prestigious companies in America.
I have "served" on hundreds of committees. I can assure you that if I
had presented a committee report such as those received by AERC from the
Veterinary Committee, I would have been fired before the meeting ended!

There is NO information...NONE!  Simply a conclusion...unsubstantiated,
no statements, no facts, no ride environment data, no nothing...and
IMHO, is worthless, statistically or otherwise. If this is all the BoD
gets from the Veterinary Committee, it is not surprising that after
twenty years, we still have no rules or guidelines that protect the
horse.

Who speaks for the horse? Apparently not the BoD or the Veterinary
Committee. They are more concerned about their own agendas. It's easier
just to sweep it into a "black hole" and forget about it.

After you read the Reports, here is my take...

When you enter an AERC sanctioned ride, you agree to give up certain
rights of confidentiality, patient/client privilege, etc. because AERC
has a RIGHT to protect the life of the equine...if you don't agree, then
don't enter. Our rules and waivers should reflect that..and IT SHOULD BE
STATED IN THE WAIVER THAT IT IS TO PROTECT THE EQUINE!

There are WAY too many Vets on the Vet Committee. IMHO, it should be
made up of lay people...knowledgeable riders...with a couple of Vets for
advisors. In the current committee, there is WAAAAYY too much conflict
of interest.

Please attend the convention General Session at 8:30 on Saturday
morning. Art King and I will both be addressing the BoD at that time on
this issue. You need to here this!

Joan and I will wear a black arm band at the Convention in remembrance
of the "too many" horses that "gave everything" in 2002. Follow your own
heart on this....

"Look back at man's struggle for freedom
Trace our present day's strength to its source
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of a horse"
                       Anon

Jim, Joan, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic