Re: [RC] Paints and Endurance - Lysane Cree

As has been said before on ridecamp in breed
discussions, I think it all depends on certain types
of horses and individuals within a breed. I really
think that the Paints with the TB type and TB blood
might be better suited to endurance than lets say, the
ones that are solely being bred for halter - the TB
types have a leaner look.
I have been looking at a lot of Paint horse websites
lately and the ones that would seem better suited are
the ones that are performance-bred, the "all-round"
athletic types, rather than the ones very specifically
geared to one line of work. The way the look is going
for halter horses these days, I really don't think a
horse that is heavily bred for halter would be
suitable...halter people seem to be going for these
huge balloon horses that can barely lie down on their
sides, their bodies are so huge and over-developed.  I
think this is where the long back is coming in too. I
am going to try to show my Paint filly this summer in
halter and showmanship classes for somthing fun to do
with her while she grows up, but I am already prepared
that I may not win because she won't have that
"halter" look with overdeveloped muscles and heavy
body condition. She is just the right weight for her
age and I don't plan on doing any major exercise with
her either. Sure, I'll clip and brush and shine her up
as best I can, but she is not from halter bloodlines.
I have been trying to see what Paint bloodlines would
be good...but its difficult....many horses are only
being shown in one discipline and then only get
marketed for that one line of work. So its difficult
to know if such a stallion would or has produced
successful horses elsewhere.  Cutting and reining
horses are definitely athletic...wonder if that would
be a good bloodline...breeders here seem to have kept
the more "traditional" look with the shorter back -
guess it depends on the individual stallion too....
Lysane

JANUSTUDIO@xxxxxx wrote: > In a message dated 2/28/03
1:08:54 AM Eastern
Standard Time,
penelope_75647@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Too bad you weren't able to find a good Paint
distance horse. My Rider is
just super! He is more of the TB type, but he can
hang with a good working
pulse, and drop as well as his Arab counterparts.
Because he is 15.3, I do a
lot of sponging. My main breed concerns are the long
back that the Paint and
QH breeders like, and the smaller size of his hooves
relative to his size.
Thus I have saddle fitting problems, and help my
farrier make his truck
payments. <g>