[RC] endurance equitation (was dressage saddles) - Jonni

However, I am once again struck by the fact that so many people ride
their saddles instead of their horses!!! <<<

Oh boy, this can open a whole can of worms....I was just watching the Horse
Trails show on RFD-TV the other night, filmed at the 50 mile Championships
in Kentucky. I was AMAZED at how poorly balanced and "sloppy" so many of the
riders were riding across the finish line of the 50 mile ride. Sitting very
heavy in the saddle on their horses backs, slumping, riding crocked, or off
set to one side, arms flailing, legs flopping....you get the picture. If you
are at the championship, you have done enough rides to not be tired at the
end of the ride, thus effecting your riding much. I think many have just
never been taught how to ride balanced, and to the best benefit of their
animals. Many may be getting away with no obvious effects from poor
equitation, as many were the smaller, featherweight and lightweight riders.
But a balanced rider, will be an aid, not a hindrance to their horse over
the days course. One does not need to ride like a show ring equitation
rider, but at least try to not sit off set to one side, not flop and bounce
around, and don't sit on the saddle like a sack of potatoes. And I noticed
how many were riding with theirs reins so long and flopping, and arms out
almost to their sides, that if the horse had decided to make a turn to their
trailer, instead of the finish line, many would not have been able to gather
the reins quick enough to redirect the horse.  Some of my favorite riders to
watch on endurance rides are those that indeed did come from a show ring
background. They ride balanced, light, and are "one" with their horse.
Watching them trot or canter down the trail is a lovely sight. Remember,
just my opinions and thoughts............

Jonni

This E-Mail scanned by Norton Anti-virus 2003, and believed to be virus
free.