[RC] Dressage saddles for endurance - Rides 2 Far

I never realized that dressage saddles were so popular for
endurance...

Never confuse the number of responses you get on a post with an overall
average at a ride.  Sometimes I sort of have to shake my head and say,
"Wait a minute...that's not what it's like at a ride" after I hear a
bunch of responses on any variety of topics.

If you want to see what people really use, go to a ride and just count
the saddles.  Maybe  differentiate on your list what distance they are
riding also.  I've seen a couple of top riders who rode in English
saddles of one type or another, but they were usually crossover riders
who had been very successful in dressage or jumping before beginning
endurance. (Nina Warren or Melissa Crain for example) but not a lot of
riders on them in general.  In theory, I'd like to run across a dressage
saddle that fit my horse and try it out, but I've never even ridden a
real one.  I'm kinda shopping for one for Josie's lessons but I've
developed such expensive taste don't know if I could get the quality that
I'd want.

As far as dressage saddles not sliding forward, I'd be curious as to what
it is about them that suspends the laws of gravity and shape.  If your
horse gets narrower as you get closer to his shoulders (as opposed to his
barrel), and the saddle is sitting on a tilted surface, what miracle is
keeping it back if the saddle is not digging into the shoulder?  Seems to
me the shoulder blade is the only thing that's keeping the saddle back.
Get on your horse, put the saddle just behind the shoulder, then slide
your fingers under the front of your saddle. Get someone to take his
foreleg and extend it forward and feel the pinch.  If you're using that
shoulder blade to keep the saddle back I don't see how you're keeping the
saddle from interfering with free movement of the shoulder.

I like my cruppers.  My saddle doesn't go over my horse's head without
one, but it stays out of his shoulderblade with it.  The panel on the OF
does make a natural ramp to climb over the shoulder blade rather than dig
in and stay back, so I think it may need one a little more but it's a
small price to pay for the free shoulder movement...besides, cruppers are
*cool*. >g<

There's a little attachment you can get for your English saddle that's
just a crossbar with a crupper D attached to it. You just slide the
crossbar into the channel of the saddle and have an instant D. I've done
the same with a large nail in a pinch.

Angie