Re: [RC] [RC] Health&fitness consensus - oddfarm

Geez Angie, you exercised more excuses not to work out than anyone I know. They wore me out!

Biking is great for those posting quads and landing glutes. Both in the saddle and on the ground. However, try to maintain some cellulite for those landings on the ground. Also very cardiovascular if you try to outride the cars trying to run you off the road. Sometimes the cars will come on the sidewalk to get you so it is best to ride with off-road tires. This way, you can swerve off the pavement, into the ditch, ride on the grass until they pull away, go back down the ditch, get back on the road and signal to the driver that you are okay. Actually, you can signal to the driver at anytime because it only takes one finger.

If you want to know what it feels like to "pull your bellybutton tight to your back" try a gallop through the woods early in the morning when the banana spiders have their webs across the trails. Each time you duck and scream, it is worth 100 sit-ups. Unfortunately, if you ride in a western saddle, it could be worth 100 stiches on your face. OUCH! If you happen to get one on you, the body contortions you go through to try and get it off will stretch you out like nobody's business and the screaming is very cardiovascular. Pilate and yoga don't even compare. However, slapping your helmet repeatedly while trying to remove the spider will only give you a concussion. It also makes you look like one of the Three Stooges.

Swimming is also an excellent workout. I like to play the Jaws theme on the way to the beach and wear flippers so I look like a fish. Then I imagine starving sharks lurking in the dark, murky water and I can swim a mile in 1 minute flat. Of course, this is anaerobic exercise and all the screaming does draw a crowd. "Hee-hee hee, I was only kidding. I thought something had my leg, but I guess it didn't. I'm okay, really."

Weight training is not just about building muscles, but gaining strength. Trying to pull a horse into trailer who doesn't know how to load will do the same thing. (we are talking about exercise here people, not horsemanship) Trying to hold up a back leg of a full grown Clydesdale who has never had his feet done works well, also. Especially when they start to kick. Who-eee, your sweating now! Once you are able to pull a horse into the trailer or hold the Clydesdale's hoof without letting go or getting tossed into the next county, your ready for some WWF action. When you grease up those muscles with hoofprints left all over your body from practice, people just look and say, "Ooooo, she's bad!"

My favorite workout in the one Ellen DeGenerous (sp?) subscribes to. She puts on her sweat socks and a pair of Depends. The sweat socks are really for that "Let's get physical" look. Then she stands out in the road and her friend drives at her 100 mph and slams on the brakes right before she hits her! Whew! That'll get the 'ole ticker going. The depends may not look good with the socks and all, but they work.

The only things you need for a good workout are dedication, motivation, and a sense of humor. Every time John and I go to our military class and little Miss Twit barks "On your backs for 150 crunches!" we just laugh....
with tears in our eyes.

I am glad you are feeling better and thinking about a workout. It's a start. {:)

Lisa Salas, The Odd FarM
We exercise our right to be different.