Re: [RC] Death Valley Photos and regrets - maryanne

Looking over the pictures and I REALLY wish I could
have made it. Unfortunately both my laptop and myself
came down with viruses (different ones and the laptop
is much the worse off) and I opted to play it smart and
take it easy. Kat Swigart emailed me just before the
laptop crash to say that she'd sprained her ankle and
couldn't make it, so we got together on her trails in
So. Cal.

All things considered, I know that I made the right
choice in laying low...much as I regret it. My son went
back to New York on the 29th and my daughter wasn't up
to winter camping either (well, it's winter for us
spoiled Egyptians) which figured in to my decision.
This morning at 7 am I got a call from my son to say
that his best friend Don who was driving from NYC to
California with his younger brother and another friend
of the kids was in an accident in New Jersey and Don's
brother died. Apparently the brother's seat belt wasn't
quite latched, Don looked down for a second and lost
control of the car. His brother was killed instantly
and the other two had minor injuries. I'm driving with
Yasmine down to LAX at 3:30 am tonight for an early
flight to Newark and I have to admit the accident has
shaken me. We don't drive such distances as a rule at
home. All of you take care on the seat belts when you
travel. I'd forgotten about long drives until I went to
Kat's and my cold let me know that a 4 hour drive in one
day was quite enough thank you.

For all the people I missed meeting, my
apologies...especially to Jackie. I couldn't even call
because the information was on the dead laptop...using
my brother's right now. I'm going to keep trying and
having kids in college here gives me a good reason to
be back and forth.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
(who is Scots/Irish and not either Egyptian or Italian
<G> ...imagine Irish/Arab kids!!)