Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] Rascal and the Hackamore - Robin Everett

This is a really clear description of how to fit and ride with a mechanical hack!  Can you (or anyone else) give me a similar description for a sidepull?

Robin Everett

From: "Bonnie Davis" <horsecamping@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Rascal and the Hackamore

The hackamore bit should sit with noseband just above the soft nose tissue. (To low and one will cut the air off when horse breaths.) Shanks centered just above corners of mouth. Curb chain is above groove in chin about an inch. The whole hackamore bit should fit the horse's face. The nose band sits above and fits over the nose to top of shanks -- no space. The curb chain fits under jaw and has enough room for maybe about a little finger tip. There shouldn't be a finger or two. The idea is to have instant contact when pulling back on reins which is why its so IMPORTANT to have good hands and ride light -- no pulling or tugging on reins. Going back to the 60's, mechanical hackamore bits used to be considered the 'bit of last resort' for horses that ran through bits and used to be seen on a lot of gymkhana and rope horses. When the mechanical hackamore was first put on Flint, he tried to run through it once or twice and soon learned a quick jerk hurt. So he gave up trying to take the bit and run through it. After about 3 months us e, Flint was a horse you just shifted weigh on and he moved in that direction. Flint was the only horse I've used a mechanical hackamore on and as I've said, my Quarter Horse, Sig, is in a regular hackamore. There is a difference. The mechanical hackamore has a chain under chin and noseband with reins attached to shanks all on a headstall. The regular hackamore has a bosel from which double reins are taken from a knot under the jaw line. The knot is adjusted for various pressure. Personally, I like the hackamore because I like the way it looks on Sig plus he has nothing in his mouth so I think he likes it better to

Bonnie Davis

Do you Yahoo!?