Re: [RC] AERC National Championship ride FUNDING

Original Message -----
From: "Jim Holland" <lanconn@tds.net>
To: "Terry Woolley" <cancer@simplyweb.net>; "Ridecamp"
<ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] AERC National Championship ride FUNDING

> Terry Woolley wrote:
> >
>   There is
> > always an ongoing effort on the part of AERC to keep membership dues
down,
> > and since there is such a small percentage of the membership who do
> > participate in the ride, the Board has been reluctant to take money from
the
> > AERC budget to underwrite this ride.
> >

> Terry...
>
> Hmmm...even though the members by a majority indicated they supported a
> NCR.

When you said they supported a NCR ride, what exactly are you referring to?
When did they vote for this?  As far as i know putting on a national
championship ride was a board decision.  I don't actually remember this
going out to the membership for a vote. I know at the general meeting in
Reno a couple of years ago, those in the audience did indicate that they
wanted a 50 mile championship too.   I'm not arguing, I just don't know
what you are referring to when you say that a majority wanted this.  And if
they did, did they say they were willing
to underwrite this, or were just in favor of having one?

> OK, since no one else stepped up and you made this statement, I will ask
> YOU directly the question I have being trying to get answered:
>
> How many $$$$ in REAL AERC funds do we spend on International Riding and
> what percent of the membership participates?

Jim, the office is closed right now so I can't ask, but I will tomorrow and
get back to you.  As far as number of participants in international, it is
less than 1%.  I do know that.  And I'm not sure how much of AERC funds
actually goes to support international stuff.  Members who are interested in
international can pay an extra $10 with their AERC dues and it goes directly
to the international committee.

Was the membership given
> an opportunity for input on the use of these funds for that purpose? Did
> THOSE funds come from membership dues?

The membership is always welcome at the board meetings, and can certainly
tell their AERC rep. on their views of any issues, financial allocations or
otherwise.

> I WILL get an answer to this...sooner or later...

I will get back to you tomorrow.  Sooner is always better than later.

Terry