AERC National Championship ride FUNDING

someone wrote:
>Please take into consideration not increasing the qualifications for this
>years NC ride. The AERC doesn't finance the ride.

OK, I missed the whole funding thing in my earlier post. It slipped past me
and slipped my mind from last fall's posts that AERC didn't put any support
into this ride, monetary or otherwise. What is up with that? I belong to
other organizations and those organizations either foot the bill for or
substantially underwrite the costs of the annual national competition. Or
they find a sponsor.

Folks, I'm a newbie, but this is why an outside perspective is good.

San replied:
>Sorry but I Don't see what this has to do with anything. Do you think for a
>minute that American or National League Baseball finance the World series?

No, the World Series is financed by TV money. Like it or not, money makes
the world go 'round.

>In the end, if this is a determining factor, if I am AERC, I then
>withdraw sanctioning, points and standings based on this competition. No
>offense intended at all, but this is just not a logical argument for dropping a
>baseline of qualifications

Here's the logic of the arguement: increased qualifications imposed by the
AERC might possibly limit participation (I personally don't think so, see
last post), yet AERC isn't contributing a dime. The RM or OC sticks
financial neck out to put on ride, possibly has decreased participation and
well, loses money.

Hopefully this year AERC is allowing the ride management to seek
sponsorship? If memory serves me correctly, they tried to control that last
year too.

BOTTOM LINE: AERC IS TRYING TO HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. Raise qualifications but
yet not contribute financially. That stinks.

>and in my 30 plus years of involvement in sports of all kinds - human and
>equine - a pattern has been historically demonstrated that lowering the
>standards lowers expectations and finally performance.

Here we don't disagree. I just wanted to point out that money DOES have
something to do with it.

Deanna (Ohio) M30478