Re: RC: Re: conditioning riders

Maggie,

Let me give you a perspective on this. I once held the Indiana state record for
the 880 (which is a half mile and metric equiv of todays 800 meters). I got to
go to college because of my legs, couldn't afford it otherwise and almost made
the Olympic team ( fourth in the trials).

I owe it all to my high school track coach who went on to coach a few Olympic
middle distance and distance runners in his time. During my junior year of high
school he told me I was going to run  the mile that year and our miler, who also
was top notch, was going to run the half mile.

He told me that while the mile is just two half miles, you cannot face it that
way since if you do you will fail. The training program was similar, but the
running of the race was completely different, especially on the mental level.

The same is true for a 100, it is not 4 25's or 2 50's. It might help to think
of it that way but I don't think you are doing youself any favors by doing that.
The 100 is as much a mental test as a physical test for both horse and rider.
Considering the interplay between the mental state of a rider and horse it
becomes an issue for both.

On the mental level the 100 mile ride goes from starting line euphoria, to I'm
sure glad I've finished half of it to a gut wrentching "what the hell am I
doing" at about 60 to 70 miles to "I be damn I've got this much invested that I
am going to finish" at about 80 miles.

Is it better to ride with someone, only if they can ride your pace. Waiting for
someone can wear on you and pushing to keep up can wear on your horse. The 100
mile ride is "you, your horse and the trail." I you have a steady riding partner
with whom you horse is compatible with theirs it can help, but it is still up to
you.  There is nothing like it in anything I've ever done.  When you finish you
first 100 you will finally realize what "to finish is to win" really means. I am
not sure you can comprehend the significance of those five words until you do
finish a 100.

The rush you get when the vet passes your horse at the end is like no other -
well maybe one other, but that's it.

Go for it and good luck!
Truman