conditioning riders

> best way to get fit for a 100 mile ride?
> What are
> dumb things you shouldn't do?

Don't keep going if something needs adjusting. Stop and fix it before a
small problem becomes a big one.

 What is a must. Are the hours of
> training rides  enough? > change but wow 100 miles just seems like so
long to sit in a saddle.

Thank goodness we don't sit in the saddle!  I can't even go riding with
the local riders around here because after an hour or two of walking my
butt is killing me...feels like my seat bones are going through the
saddle!  That of course gives them a big laugh since I do 100's, but I
don't just sit there on a 100, I post.  If it gets so slow that I have to
walk I usually jump off and walk with him.

When I was going to do my first 100 I was paranoid and I walked 3 miles a
day, rode an exercise bike, and anything else I could to get in better
shape.  The ride was a breeze.  Gotta admit, I don't try very hard any
more.  Just do 50's and on the day of the 100 the adrenaline seems to do
the rest.  However...I did 50's for 10 years before I tried a 100.  I
developed some pretty gnarly calf muscles during those years and had lots
of soreness.  I think I put off doing a 100 so long that I was sort of
over prepared for it. My early 50's hurt me worse.

My worst 100 was the fastest.  I came in 3rd right at dark, felt fine,
sat down for a minute and I think I tied up.  >g< Never had such a total
freeze up of all thigh and buttock muscles.  Next morning I was fine but
talk about "feel the burn!"  Remembering that helps me remember to keep
my horse moving until he passes his final trot out.  One funny thing I've
noticed. If I'm doing a 100 where we're finishing about 1 AM and get off
and walk a lot I'm not any more sore than after a 50.  The walking really
helps avoid soreness.

Angie (41 and a half and looking forward to being as tough as the 60 year
old riders out there)
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.