conditioning riders

In a message dated 02/18/2002 11:46:28 AM Pacific Standard Time, bechack@sierratel.com writes:

The horse looked great, but the rider was beginning to fade.

Can you guys talk about the best way to get fit for a 100 mile ride? What are dumb things you shouldn't do? What is a must. Are the hours of training rides enough? To put it bluntly...how do you do it???? I wouldn't even begin considering endurance if they didn't offer LD rides. I realize that could change but wow 100 miles just seems like so long to sit in a saddle.

Anyone care to share their stories to this newbie.

BTW...I am in relatively good shape...an ex dancer, but on the wrong side of 40. Riding since I was a teen though.

Mel