<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] [RC] Ride shortages: maybe it's time...
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:41:27 GMT 2003
  • - A. Perez
  • - Joe Long

    Re: [RC] [RC] Ride shortages: maybe it's time... - Nancy Mitts

    I'd be careful about making such blanket statements about LD subsidizing longer rides. Or about them being easier/cheaper to manage, etc.
    In our area, riders are just as apt to ride 25 as 50, depending on how they and their horses feel that day. We have husband/wife combos as well as friends who normally travel together who ride different distances at the same rides. Historically in OCER it seems we'll have an influx of riders who start in 25's, with fewer riders in the 50. By the next year most of them move up or quit the sport, and the 50's have more entries. Then it starts all over again.
    Hiring a vet for 1/2 day 25 will cost just as much as a whole day. They often spend more time explaining things to the newer riders. In our area most rides give out the same awards to each distance. 25 mile rides still have lower entry fees, though that is changing as ride manager's realize it costs just as much for that 25 miler as a 50.
    It is my understanding the intent of the AERC rule is to keep the middle east style Marathon racing, or suicide type races that take place in some areas of this country, from getting any type of AERC sanctioning.
    I also don't understand how having 25 mile only rides would solve any "ride shortage"? Would there be more 25 mile riders show up if they didn't have to ride with 50 milers?
    If a ride isn't economically feasible with combined distances, it's unlikely to be so with one distance only.
    The Turkey Trot had 22- 50 milers & 15- 25's the first day.
    15- 50's & 22-25's the second. Several people who rode 50's the 1st day rode 25 the second. I want them ALL at my rides. United we stand, divided we fail. And that's not typo!

    Nancy Mitts