Re: Reply/Intranasal Vaccines

Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with the intranasal strangles vaccine?  (from Karen Bottiani)

One of my horses had a terrible reaction to the intranasal vaccine--he was one sick pony for awhile and I came near to losing him.  I should have left well enough alone, but was trying to protect him due to a neighboring farm that went through strangles.

You just have to decide how important it is for your horse to be vaccinated against strangles.  In my case, prevention was worse than the actual disease.  Strangles is a mutating bacterium (Streptococcus equi) and it leaves veterinarians and horse folks guessing as to what strain is operative and whether or not to vaccinate.

Gretchen Patterson
T-P Ranch Equine Massage
http://www.horsemassage.com
http://www.horseoftheamericas.com