Re: Strangles Vaccine

> Keep in mind that strangles is only about 60% effective (last time I =
> asked anyway) and it has the potential to GIVE your horse strangles.

This is partially true of the injectable. Not the intranasal. It is MUCH more
effective, as it provides immunity at the site of exposure and doesn't wait
until the bacteria in the bloodstream (which is too late).
> =
> They actually suffer a mild case of it which is what gives immunity.

Again, not true of the intranasal vaccine.

 Also.....NEVER, EVER give the intranasal vaccine
> =
> and ANY injection for any reason at the same time....one of our clients
> =
> gave the intranasals and booster shots all in one day.  Every last =
> yearling (22 of them) ended up with a HUGE abcess at the site of the =
> injection....somehow it was introduced through the needle...whether they
> =
> got in on their hands or what, I don't know but we have been warned to
> =
> never do both on the same day.  We don't do strangles so other than the
> =
> above, I am absolutely no help to you whatsoever!  :)

If you are giving the intranasal vaccine, you need to do it LAST, i.e after all
the other injections.

I have given herds of horses the intranasal vaccine and never had a reaction,
because we do all other injections first. Also I've seen some NASTY problems
when people injected by accident the intranasal. Don't do that!

Personally, I love the intranasal vaccine and have seen it work fantastically
at some farms with SERIOUS endemic strangles problems. As in... every horse
that
came to their farm developed strangles until they began the intranasal vaccine
and the problem stopped.

I also like to give mine a booster 1-2 weeks before I start travelling with
them. Think about the number of horses from different areas all drinking out of
the same buckets at an endurance ride. What an opportunity to spread things
around!

So, give the vaccine. Probably at least a week or 2 before your ride, and by
all means don't pick a day when you're doing other injections.

Laura Szeremi DVM