<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Actors Who Can Ride
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:40:54 GMT 2003
  • - Merryben
  • - Randy H Eiland

    Re: [RC] Actors Who Can Ride - Bonnie Davis

    In 'True Grit', John Wayne didn't do the riding across the meadow with guns
    blazing.  And in the close up with the reins in his mouth, he was on a
    'rocker'.  The stunt man for Wayne in that movie and a lot of his others is
    still in Hollywood but I'll be darned if I can think of his name.  The big
    sorrel Wayne rode was his horse.  (True Grit was shot in Ridgeway, Colorado
    and one day on set Wayne had to redo a close up of him riding horse up to
    court house to talk to judge -- his remarks, "Get on that damn horse
    again!".  Wayne did not like horses.)

    Don't forget Clint Eastwood!  He rides quite well, breeds Quarter Horse I
    understand.  In his 'european' westerns -- Hang 'Em High, Fist Full of
    Dollars, etc. -- he did his own riding.  Really liked his horses -- a couple
    were his.

    Glenn Ford, Henry Fonda, Jimmie Stewart, the Douglas family, Robert Mitchem
    just about all the OLD stars rode.  Remember that was back in the 40's and
    so stars did what producers wanted them to do.  When they got 'big' they got
    doubles to do their riding.

    In the "Kentuckian", Wayne did some of his riding but not all.  He was
    becoming a star.  Smiley Burnett was his side kick -- Burnett was an
    excellent rider.  Remember a lot of these guys came from cowboy/working
    ranch background.  There were more ranches then.

    Slim Pickins was a rodeo clown.  He slected the name Slim Pickins because he
    was once asked about his life and he came from a very poor family and it was
    "always slim pickins around the table".

    Also, remember that back in the 40's when westerns were king, the top stunt
    rider was Yakama K.... (I can't spell that name).  He'd take any stunt
    offered -- almost killed a couple times.  (The stuntman in How the West Was
    Won -- in the scene where the rail cars come loose and the 'star' is suppost
    to be in between the turning logs -- lost his leg, bad timing and logs
    crushed him.  Stunting is not an easy occupation.)

    Old stars -- they did most of their riding!!  Few doubles and studios
    couldn't afford them.

    Remember the horses -- all the stars had horses!!  And in those falling
    scenes and horses going off cliffs -- they did.  To fall, a Running W was
    used and you can see 'em in the way horses fall.  Lots of horses had to be
    shot on the set because of broken legs.  Off cliffs, they drove 'em off.
    That was before the Humane Society got into the movies.

    And last, Roy Rogers and Dale Evens.  She could ride -- quite well.  Roy
    could not.  He was born Lenoard Sly in Chicago and became a 'cowboy' because
    he could sing.  He became a star because Gene Autry who was the number one
    box office cowboy joined the service (yes, joined not drafted) when WWII
    began.  As did so many other stars -- they didn't hide behind "being a
    star".  Autry went off to fight the war.  Republic Pictures needed a new
    cowboy, so Lenoard Sly became Roy Rogers and Trigger was paired with him by
    'Fats' Jones -- a big movie horse rental stable owner.  And of course, you
    guys know the rest.....

    Bonnie Davis